Monday, April 13, 2015

Storytelling for Week 12: The Frog and the Princess

The Frog and Princess
There was once a princess who was very beautiful. She was not like any ordinary princess. She enjoyed the outdoors and observing the creatures that lived near the pond in her garden. At school, her favorite subject was biology and thus was always interested in observing the frogs, fish, and ducks that were at her pond.
It was like any other day; she was at her pond observing the creatures when her shoe accidently fell into the pond. The pond being deep and all, she could not go after it to retrieve it. So she cried for her father gave her those shoes.
A frog hearing her cries pitied her. The Frog approached her and said “Princess I will retrieve your shoe on one condition that you take me back to your home and marry me”
The Princess shocked that a frog was speaking to her did not know what to say. The Frog repeated himself. The princess had to think about it but eventually accepted his offer, thinking that she could just run off and leave him once she gave her her shoe. The Frog gave the Princess her shoe and immediately, the Princess ran off with her shoe, leaving behind the frog.
The Princess was home studying for an upcoming biology exam when she heard a knock. It was the Frog. The Princess did not know what to do and so ran to her father asking for advice. He advised that since she made a promise to the Frog, she needs to keep it. She obeyed her father and allowed the frog into her home.
The reminded her that she also promised to marry him. The princess replied to the frog that she did promise to marry the Frog but she did not specify when. So because there not a specific deadline to marry the Frog, the princess replied that she will marry him in a year. The Frog was not too happy about this but agreed to it.
During this time, the Frog and Princess spent a lot of time together. He showed the princess his home, the pond, and taught her everything about the creatures that lived there as well. The Princess enjoyed this. Eventually the Princess fell in love with the Frog. The Princess had never met anyone so kind, smart, and loyal.
One day while spending time together, the Princess kissed the Frog and instantly the Frog turned into a handsome Prince. The Princess fell in love him even more. They married and lived happily ever after.

(The Frog Prince)



Author's Note:
 This story was based on the story of The Frog Prince. I kept the main concepts of the story but made a few changes. For instance in "The Frog Prince," she drops a golden ball but in my story I had the Princess drop her shoe instead. I felt like it was more "fairytale-like" than a golden ball. In my story, the frog retrieves the shoe call on two conditions: the Princess takes the frog home with her and marries him. In "The Frog Prince," the retrieves the golden ball on the condition that the Princess takes him home with her, shares her food with him, and allows him to sleep beside her. I also added a reason why she was at the pond all the time, which was because she was interested in biology and thus enjoyed observing the creatures and their habitat. I also included more about their courtship. I wanted the reader to see that they grew into falling love with each other -- that is why I emphasized that they did not marry until a year. Another difference between my story and "The Frog Prince" was that in "The Frog Prince" the curse was broken not be a kiss but by allowing the frog to sleep over at the princess's home. I felt like a "true love's kiss" was a lot more romantic and magical.

"The Frog Prince" from the Grimm (LibriVox)  by the Brothers Grimm (1876). Web Source: Sacred Texts.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah! I love this story! One, because it reminds me of Princess and the Frog, which I am guessing is also based on this story. I like that you changed it to a shoe and agree that it is much more fairytale-like! You are an excellent writer, and I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Grimm Tales are some of my favorite this year. I loved the original of this story and I think your version is also great. You did a great job of changing a few things while at the same time remaining true to the original heart and soul of the version you read. Over all I think you did a great job...

    ReplyDelete